What causes feeling of lump in the throat and sore throat?
My Doctor is not giving answers as to why my carotid artery is bulging. My MRI showed significant plaque in the bulb area and the ultrasound showed there is none. She stated there is no further testing and everything is fine. My left artery is bulging (it's a elongated size and getting bigger), feel likes a lump in my throat and have a sore throat on the left side of my throat all the time. Sometimes I get the jaw and ear pain and also feels heavy on the left side of my chest. I have no idea where to go from here. I am a healthy 48 year female. My cholesterol is excellent and blood pressure is good.
Thank you XXXXXXX -
I would explain as follows:
Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!
I carefully passed through your question and would explain that your symptoms (feeling like lump in the throat and sore throat on the left side) are not related to the carotid artery plaque.
They could be just anxiety. I would also recommend checking your thyroid gland with an ultrasound of the gland and thyroid hormone levels, because this gland is positioned in this region and could be related to a similar symptomatology.
You should know that MRI with MRA is a better examination for the cervical and brain vessels and for the detection of atherosclerotic plaque, compared to Doppler ultrasound.
Anyway, I would recommend taking aspirin and a statin, like simvastatin or (even though your cholesterol is excellent), in order to prevent possible progression of the atherosclerotic plaque and possible complications (like ulceration or artery to artery embolism leading to stroke).
If the plaque has caused a severe narrowing of the carotid artery, you should discuss with a vascular surgeon for possible endarterectomy (which is the intervention of atherosclerotic plaque removal).
Regarding the chest pain, I would recommend further investigations for possible coronary artery disease (atherosclerosis is a generalized process which can affect all the arteries in our body):
- a resting ECG and cardiac enzymes
- a chest X ray study
- a cardiac stress tests would be helpful in suspicions of coronary artery disease are raised.
You should discuss with your doctor on the above issues.
Hope to have been helpful!
Thank you for the response. What causes the bulging artery? I can feel it along with the Doctor. There's an elongated bump.
I would recommend as follows:
Regarding your concern, I would explain that these changes in the carotid dimension and shape are probably related to athersclerosis. You should know that this is an active process involving different layers of the vessel wall, thus leading to changes in the shape besides the narrowing in the vessel lumen.
From the other hand, uncontrolled blood pressure can exacerbate the progression of this disorder.
Other causes to consider are possible genetic disorders (like polycistic kidney or some defects in the production of collagen), which usually occur in young persons.
I would recommend following the above recommendations on treatment and lifestyle modifications in order to prevent possible progression or complications of these arterial changes.
Hope to have been helpful!
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Mebeverine cause sore throat
- What causes bodyaches with sore throat
- What virus causes sore throat
- Lump on tonsil causing sore throat
- What is the cause of the recurring sore throat
- Listerine causes a sore throat
- Toothache sore throat whats the cause
- Meth causes sore throats
- What causes sore throat and cough
- Costochondritis cause sore throat
- What do the following stress tests, echo and holter monitor test result...
- Suggest alternative treatment for congestive heart failure
- Suggest treatment for hypertension and GERD
- Suggest treatment for high BP and tingling in arms
- What causes sharp pain in chest area relieved by burping?
- Suggest treatment for afib, severe sleep apnea and high heart rate?
- What causes shortness of breath with normal chest X-ray?
- What causes severe pain in my calf muscle in Tietze syndrome?
- What causes altered sense of smell when diagnosed with sinus tachycardia?
- Does page syndrome increase the risk of heart attack?