What causes feeling of fullness in ear?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Fri, 23 Oct 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hai...I am 31 old male...feeling uncomfortable with my left ear...feeling like little closed...also i have pain when i touch inside that ear...Shall i use waxonil for cleaning my ear...if so kindly suggest dosage....
thank you
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Steam inhalation should provide relief. May take cetirizine once daily 2-3d

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. It so happens that there is a tube connecting the inner throat to our middle ear cavity. The thick mucus may cause blockage of this tube thereby causing pressure differences which may cause pain in the ear, hearing problems and a sense of 'little closed'. In such a case, since the problem is not in the external ear, applying Waxonil or similar drops will not help (and hence the dose is not applicable). Rather, taking steam inhalation can provide relief. Water in the form of vapour can reach deep inside and helps in diluting the mucus.

Hope that helps.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 17 hours later
Thank you Doctor...My ear pain is like needle punching...and now i feel pain without touching my ear...
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Take steam inhalation. Take analgesics. Visit a ENT specialist

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back.

You can take some over the counter pain medication. You have not mentioned whether steam inhalation has given you any relief. In any case it would probably be reasonable to visit a ENT doctor and to get yourself examined. I have already mentioned what I felt from your description. But I have no way to confirm it by examining clinically.