Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

185 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

What causes feeling of food stuck in throat?

Answered by
Dr. Rovena Murati

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2013

Answered : 1243 Questions

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have a feeling of food stuck in throat/chest and it is causing me a lot of discomfort. It's been about 24 hours now since it first accrued. I have been able to eat in the last 24 hours so I'm not sure what the issue is. The discomfort is also accompanied by heartburn. In case this is significant I do have Acid Reflux Disease and was diagnosed years ago but have never ha this happen. What can I do at home to relieve this discomfort? I don't want to go to the ER or a doctor so just what I can do at home. Please and Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Rovena Murati 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You can use an PPI drug.

Detailed Answer:
I read carefully your query and understand your concern.

Your symptoms indicate gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
Because the stomach acid moves up to esophagus ,it can go up to the throat and cause inflammation of throat and esophagus.
This inflammation is the cause of this lump feeling in the throat (like food is stuck).

You should avoid foods that trigger your heartburn symptoms like fatty ,processed foods,caffeine, chocolate ,spicy foods,acidic foods like juices etc.
-Eat small ,frequent meals.
-Avoid lying at least 30 min after eating.
-Raise the head of your bad 6-8 inches.

-You can use an over the counter PPI drug.They block the acid production.
PPIs are the most powerful drugs for reducing stomach acid production .
You can take Lansoprazole 30 mg a day or Omeprazole 30 min before meals for 2 weeks.

If the symptoms doesn't seem to improve then you should consult a physician and get examined.
You may need to do an upper endoscopy.

Hope it was of help.
Let me know if you have additional questions or doubt to clarify.I will be happy to help.

Dr.Rovena Murati

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Rovena Murati 21 minutes later
I dont just have the feeling in my throat. Its also in my chest. Does that still mean it can be inflammation? Also the discomfort goes away when eating and drinking if that makes a difference.
Answered by Dr. Rovena Murati 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
These symptoms fit perfectly with acid reflux.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!

These symptoms really fits with GERD (the discomfort in chest and throat that is relieved by food and drinks).
Please follow the above advises and take an PPI over the counter for 2 weeks.

If you don't feel any improvement ,please consult a physician.

Lifestyle modifications are very important to control GERD symptoms (avoid food that trigger the symptoms ,eat small meals,exercise every day,drink water,raise the head of your bad or sleep with 2 pillows ).

Please feel free to ask if you have any additional question.

Take care!
Dr.Rovena Murati
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,  
Drug/Medication ,  
Medical Procedures

Recent questions on  Fits

doctor1 MD

I have 10 months old child when he was for day old he had fits and then after four months again he suffered from fits. but not he taking treatment with a neuroligist but still today he didnt have one. But he is moving his hand and legs very well but still not started to crawl. When we make him stnd he keeps on jumping and climbing up. Is there any problem

doctor1 MD

Hi doctor, I am on paxidep cr 12.5 for last 1.5 -2 months approx. I have now reduced it recently and occasionally skipping it for last 10 days. Now, I am experiencing more frequent mood swings and irritation, lack of long sleep, sweating even in...

doctor1 MD

Hello! This question pertains to my son, who is 19 years old, and a pigmented lesion he has on his upper back. I had taken him a few months ago to a dermatologist , and the physicians assistant who examined him with a dermascope diagnosed it as a...

doctor1 MD

Hello Dr. Sawhney!! You were wonderful in allaying some health anxiety over some skin issues several months ago, so I thought I'd consult with you on another neurotic question pertaining to my son. Unfortunately, a combination of my health anxiety...