What causes feeling of food stuck in throat?

Question
I have a feeling of food stuck in throat/chest and it is causing me a lot of discomfort. It's been about 24 hours now since it first accrued. I have been able to eat in the last 24 hours so I'm not sure what the issue is. The discomfort is also accompanied by heartburn. In case this is significant I do have Acid Reflux Disease and was diagnosed years ago but have never ha this happen. What can I do at home to relieve this discomfort? I don't want to go to the ER or a doctor so just what I can do at home. Please and Thank you.
Posted Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Rovena Murati 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You can use an PPI drug.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!
I read carefully your query and understand your concern.

Your symptoms indicate gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
Because the stomach acid moves up to esophagus ,it can go up to the throat and cause inflammation of throat and esophagus.
This inflammation is the cause of this lump feeling in the throat (like food is stuck).

You should avoid foods that trigger your heartburn symptoms like fatty ,processed foods,caffeine, chocolate ,spicy foods,acidic foods like juices etc.
-Eat small ,frequent meals.
-Avoid lying at least 30 min after eating.
-Raise the head of your bad 6-8 inches.

-You can use an over the counter PPI drug.They block the acid production.
PPIs are the most powerful drugs for reducing stomach acid production .
You can take Lansoprazole 30 mg a day or Omeprazole 30 min before meals for 2 weeks.

If the symptoms doesn't seem to improve then you should consult a physician and get examined.
You may need to do an upper endoscopy.

Hope it was of help.
Let me know if you have additional questions or doubt to clarify.I will be happy to help.

Regards!
Dr.Rovena Murati

Follow-up: What causes feeling of food stuck in throat? 21 minutes later
I dont just have the feeling in my throat. Its also in my chest. Does that still mean it can be inflammation? Also the discomfort goes away when eating and drinking if that makes a difference.

Answered by Dr. Rovena Murati 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
These symptoms fit perfectly with acid reflux.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!

These symptoms really fits with GERD (the discomfort in chest and throat that is relieved by food and drinks).
Please follow the above advises and take an PPI over the counter for 2 weeks.

If you don't feel any improvement ,please consult a physician.

Lifestyle modifications are very important to control GERD symptoms (avoid food that trigger the symptoms ,eat small meals,exercise every day,drink water,raise the head of your bad or sleep with 2 pillows ).

Please feel free to ask if you have any additional question.

Take care!
Dr.Rovena Murati