question-icon

What causes feeling of fluid sloshing around in ear while yawning?

Posted on Sat, 30 May 2015
Question: Hello, for the past couple weeks I have been feeling fluid sloshing around in my right ear sometimes when I yawn or swallow. I don't have any pain or loss of hearing however. I haven't had a serious cold or been swimming recently. What could it be?
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Mild eustachian tube dysfunction

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your query; it suggests that you may be suffering from eustachian tube dysfunction.

In this condition I personally advised
1. Valsalva maneuver three times a day for at least for five minutes
2. Steam inhalation three times a day for at least for five minutes
3. Tablet fexofenadine 120mg once a day. This is a prescription drug.

But to reach the near diagnosis and to rule out other disease go for impedance audiometry.

Thanks

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Dr. Hariom Sharma

ENT Specialist