What causes feeling of bone below sternum and stomach ulcers?

Dr. Ganesh

Posted on Thu, 14 Aug 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Question: In and out the doctors at the moment with either stomach ulcers or pancreitis, as well as IBS or possibly crohns. Waiting for an ultrasound and a app with a specialist. I was in pain last night and was pushing my abdomen in halfway between sternam and belly button and can feel a hard bony lump in the middle. It doesnt hurt to press, and it doesnt move. Feels like bone. What do you think? My partner says its my spine but can only feel one lump not a line of them?
Answered by Dr. Ganesh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Needs attention ulcer complication.

Detailed Answer:

1. Features described by you seems like complications of ulcers.

2. The bone you felt below the sternum is likely xiphoid process, its for sure not the spine, difficult for one to feel the spine from the anterior part of the body.

3. The lump what you feel could be duodenum or a gas filled bowel, as generally for lump to feel in that area needs to be a massive,which will give more complicated symptoms.

4.If I am your treating doctor I would start with a plain erect x-ray ( to rule out bowel cause and hernias -also feels like lump) and an ultrasound scan to find out presence of any mass/lump - where it is arising from and what it contents are and how it is involving the adjacent structures.

5. Hope it helps you. Have any thing to ask? do not hesitate.

Thank for approaching to health care magic.
if you are happy with my answer please rate.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari