What causes feeling clogged ear post myringotomy?

Posted on Thu, 14 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi,

I just had a myringotomy in each ear a few hours ago. I didn't have tubes put in.. my ent is trying this procedure due to my eustachian tubes being clogged. Ever since she did this, my ears feel extremely clogged up. . Is this Normal? Please help

XXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Deepashree 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
normal. will take 4 weeks to recover.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for your query.
usually there is swelling of the ear drum either because of the disease or because of the myringotomy.
This will cause ear blocked feeling.
I feel your doctor would have cleared the middle ear while doing myringotomy . But still it will take 4 weeks after myringotomy to get back your normal hearing.
It would gave been better if grommet or ventilation tubes were inserted to prevent further recurrence. Anyway follow as per your doctor.
Hope my answers have helped you.
Pleased to help you further. Thanks.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Deepashree

ENT Specialist