What causes feeling choking sensation around neck?

Dr. Minal Mohit

Endocrinologist

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: I have been feeling choking sensation around my neck from past 15 days n it's getting worse, doctor at urgent care provided me with tapering dose of prednisone which I don't think is helping , I feel left side of my face is slightly swollen and left side if my neck is swollen , my last blood work was in the third week of February 14 and TSH was normal, could this be goiter?
Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Goitre is thyroid enlargement.

Detailed Answer:
dear XXXXXXX goitre is term for thyroid enlargement. why should it cause facial swelling? you have a family history of thyroid disorders. your report of February is old. kindly get a fresh TSH and FT4 and also get a USG neck done. then let me know the results. regards!
Follow up: Dr. Minal Mohit 11 minutes later
Doctor if it turns out positive, will the swelling completely go away? Also I do feel palpitations! I'm getting married in 4 months will this interfere to conceive?
Thanks
Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is a manageable condition.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX goitre is a manageable condition. Pregnancy is possible with thyroid disorders, but it needs more careful monitoring. Regards!