• question-icon

What causes fecal incontinence and foul fecal odor?

Posted on Wed, 26 Jul 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have urgent...........can't make it 25 feet, bowel movements, soft, foul smell, lose control of bowels three times a week at least. not triggered by food, am vegetarian, have tried Metamucil which has made it seem worse
Answered by Dr. Sunil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Gastroenteritis.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query.
Have gone through your details and i appreciate your concerns.

Most likely you are suffering from Gastroenteritis.It is an intestinal infection marked by diarrhoea, cramps, nausea, vomiting and fever.However its not necessary that all symptoms are there in a single patient.Depending on the cause, viral gastroenteritis symptoms may appear within one to three days after you're infected and can range from mild to severe. Symptoms usually last just a day or two, but occasionally they may persist as long as 10 days.

Treatment-

Drink plenty of fluids to avoid dehydration–You need to drink more than usual to replace the fluids lost from vomiting and diarrhoea. Water is best, but you could also try fruit juice and soup.
Take paracetamol for any fever or aches and pains.
Get plenty of rest.
If you feel like eating, try small amounts of plain foods, such as soup, rice, pasta and bread.
Use special rehydration drinks made from sachets electral solution to maintain depleted electrolyte levels in serum.
Take anti-vomiting medication (such as zofran 4 mg twice daily ) and antidiarrhoeal medication (such as loperamide upto 16 mg a day) .
take 3 days antibiotic and anti protozoal course.
Tab Ofloxacin 200 mg twice a day(9a.m-9 p.m)
Tab Metronidazole 400 mg twice daily(9a.m-9p.m)

You would need a prescription.

Thanks!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Sunil 21 hours later
but this has been going on for over a year. any ideas?
Answered by Dr. Sunil 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
can be irritable bowel syndrome.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
In IBS there is some problem in the functional ability of the gut that leads to the symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome. The structure of the intestines is normal, only functional abnormality occurs in this condition.So it represents a functional disorder of gastrointestinal tract without the presence of an anatomic defect.Some patients have symptoms of unformed stools some have bloating and some may have severe constipation. Some patients have occasional symptoms whereas others may have symptoms for a long period of time.So as seen above every patient is different.Intensity of symptoms in every patient is different as so is the response to medicines and life style change.A patient may respond good to one medication while other patient is totally unresponsive to the same.

Initially i would suggest you to go for colonoscopy to rule out any other problem.

Follow up with reports.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Sunil

Gastroenterologist