What causes fear of having heart attack?

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 24 Oct 2016 in Anxiety and Stress
Question: Hello Doctor

Have a constant fear that I will get an heart attack. Been diagnosed with Anxiety. Also have a gastric problem am on Ayurveda medicine. Am in constant worry. Have been a high flier used to travel a lot nowadays feel will I be able to get back to that level again, Feel I wont live long when I meet an elder or XXXXXXX citizen. Feel sadness especially the following morning when I drink too much
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
I think you need to see a psychiatrist

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

Fear of having heart attack and worsening of anxiety post drinking is clearly indicative of anxiety disorder and needs treatment. There are two options for this which includes psychotherapy and medication. I understand that you are receiving ayurvedic medication but most patients fail to respond to ayurvedic medication as little research exists in regard to psychiatric illness.

Drinking although may help for certain duration but ultimately worsens the problem if it is uncontrolled.

In my view you should see a psychiatrist for definite treatment of alcohol addiction as well as anxiety disorder.

I hope this helps you.
Thanks and regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T