What causes fatty liver disease?

Dr. Anshul Varshney

Posted on Wed, 20 Sep 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I'm going for a liver ultrasound tomorrow. I've had them in the past. Fatty liver diagnosis. Too what degree I am not sure. It's been a couple of years since my last one. I have quit drinking & lost over 30 pounds. But yet the abdominal right quadrant pain has never went away. This gives me reason to believe that my liver is still inflamed? Or the pancreas. My father had gallbladder removed, but they said I have no stones and apparently no sluggish gallbladder.
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are on the right tract

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Healthcaremagic.
Hi, I am Dr Anshul Varshney , I have read your query in detail , I understand your concern.

Fatty liver disease is very common in people who are obese as well as consume alcohol.
I am very happy you have quit alcohol and lost weight.
I don't find any reason to worry, if you still have Grade 1 fatty liver. That is commonly found.

The right quadrant pain can't be because of pancreas.
It can be because of gall bladder issue( that has been ruled out in your case), hepatitis or just acid peptic disease.

In case you are found to have persistent fatty liver of grade > 1 , go ahead for a liver function test, Hepatitis B and C testing.

If all normal, you just need to continue this good life style.

I would recommend you to take a combination of Pantoprazole and Domperidone whenever you feel that you have pain.

This is my personal opinion based on details available here. If you still have any other query, you may please ask me.
Stay Healthy.
Dr Anshul Varshney , MD

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana