What causes fatigue, weakness, muscle spasms and joint pains?

Question
38 year old sedentary female, 5'6 and about 148lbs. with possible hypothyroidism or low potassium, high cholesterol, and prediabetic suffering from fatigue, weakness, muscle spasms, joint pains, trouble sleeping, trouble focusing and concentrating, constipation, bloating, ezcema, loss of hair, etc.
How much fiber, potassium, calories, protein, cholesterol, sodium, sugar, etc. intake dou you recommend daily for an overall feeling of well being. Also, the same with vitamins. Thanks in advance.
Posted Thu, 14 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please, get evaluated!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about these symptoms that you have reported. They are more suggestive of hypothyroidism. My advice would be that you get your thyroid gland investigated. A TSH level would throw more light on this and orient further invest1gations and management plan. I will not feel comfortable going with dietary measures alone when the exact cause seems easily amendable to treatment with drugs.

In all, get tests for thyroid evaluation done. This seems to be hypothyroidism. Treatment with thyroid supplements is easily available and works very well within a week or two. Talk to your primary physician about this.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Thank you so much for using our services and do feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.

Follow-up: What causes fatigue, weakness, muscle spasms and joint pains? 47 minutes later
I have been confirmed in the past by numerous doctors with hypothyroidism but about 10 years later, none have been able to stabilize my condition and instead, I feel worse and more symptoms when under thyroid medications. I refuse to see a doctor and refuse prescription drugs as well due to no positive difference to date. That is why I asked about nutrional labels, facts, and correct amount of mg and vitamins per day to try eading my symptoms in a more natural healthier way.

Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Have you seen an endocrinologist?

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for this follow up precision. I will not understand why you do better diet alone and not drugs. I will like to know if you have been followed up by an endocrinologist? If not, please consider visiting one.

For the various diets, there is really no special diet advised for persons with hypothyroidism. I will suggest that you consult a local dietitian to see if there are any local food types that can be recommended. I am unable to do this as I need to be familiar with what is available locally before making such recommendations.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Thank you so much for using our services and feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.