What causes fatigue, shortness of breath and muscle weakness in a arthritis patient?

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Sat, 4 Jun 2016 in Mental Health
Question: Dear sir/Madam.
I have been suffering from fatigue (muscle weakness easy fatiguness, shortness of breath and inability to do anything that demands a little bit of physical stress/loading) for more than 7 years, I talked to my GP many times and last year he refereed me to a specialist in CFS/ME and he didn't run any tests but just concluded, after only 30 min of talking, that i am suffering from PTSD.
Useful information, maybe, is that I feel better when taking large amounts of omega 3, vitamin c, Chlorella and garlic. I also feel paradoxically more clearer mentally when I am sick with an infection (tonsils usually).

I forgot to mention that I have some flare-ups that are like arthritis, these are most apparent in my two thumb fingers where I am suffering from "trigger finger" and acute pain especially when holding a pen for a moderate time period.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It could be only stress

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using healthcaremagic.

I have gone through your query and understand your concerns.

First of all I like to inform you that even stress can cause of all symptoms mentioned here. The possibility is high since you have good response to foods high in antioxidants like garlic and others. In addition vague nature of symptoms indicate more toeard stress and anxiety.

I think rather than trying them on experimental basis they should be part of your regular diet so there is enough symptom improvement.

Additionally I feel you need to made more intense efforts for stress management as it may lead to significant changes in symptom level.

I hope this helps you.
If you have more questions feel free to write back to me.

Thanks and regards.
Dr Ashok XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 7 hours later
Dear Dr XXXXXXX

It is true that my symptoms worsen when I am under stress, but this rarely happens. I lead a very relaxed life without any stressors, maybe I got very ill due to stress but the stressors are long gone.

Is there anything you would recommand? any tests I can take?

Because I am unable to train or do any task that demands any physical efforts.

Is there something that is similar to the idea of rehab for people who have been affected by a long period of stress? I have already tried going on a vacation, resting for long periods but it didn't work.

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
There is no such test but.....

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for reverting back to me.

I agree with your point but the vague nature of symptoms indicates more toward stress for 28 year young male.

I must acknowledge that there is no such tests to measure stress but I think you can use BDI (Beck depressive inventory) scale to assess the depressive symptoms as second possibility for me is dysthymia.

Yes management of stress likely to helps you. There is no such activity which can help in managing stress but there are combination of activities which can help you to manage stress including daily exercise, healthy diet, antioxidant intake, meditation and keeping your mind occupied with some constructive activities.

I hope this extends some help in your ongoing chronic illness.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for my future patients.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:
http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-ashok-kumar/67386
Thanks and regards.

Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 13 hours later
Dear Dr XXXXXXX

I took the BDI test, and it showed nothing out of the ordinary.
I have been seeing a Psychologist for a long period of time without any results.

The thing is that when doctors talk about a mind body connection they say that one can get fatigue and pain without any physiological reasons, but why don't they look at the converse?

When one is in a constant state of fatigue, memory weakness, inability to engage in sexual activities (not because of low libido but because of physical weakness and an inability to sustain a constant volume of blood flow to the sexual organs) then I would guess that been depressed is a normal state to be in, and maybe even it is the only healthy state to be in ! Otherwise what is the meaning in living if one can't experience the strength and XXXXXXX of been young.

I appreciate your advise but I just don't see stress in my life at the moment. Yes, I am sure that at one period stress might have caused my state to deteriorate but the problem is that I am getting the impression that this damage is irreparable.

Sincerely
Brief Answer:
Being hopeful is important and should be used

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for reverting back to me with some of the most interesting and valid answers.

I understand your point but I feel looking one aspect and ignoring another aspect could be due to two reasons.

First science is probably not that much evolved to explain everything conclusively.
Secondly we want to attribute one or another thing to something else to explain the things. Fortunately this gives us meaning and makes us at ease.

To some extent I agree that some damages are irreparable but accepting that is not going to solve any problem. In fact it may worse the situation. Additionally as I said above we do not have evidence of everything from science part and we constantly need answers. Being hopeful may give you more surprising yet fruitful answers and I think optimism should be exercised to the maximum possible extent before there is evidence of contrary.

I know the answer is far from satisfactory but knowing our limitations or keeping the expectations lower may help us in boosting our self esteem back to somewhat normal.

I hope this assists you further.
Thanks and regards.
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 21 hours later
Dear Dr. XXXXXXX

Thank you for your answer, although not satisfactory as you said, it was very logical and coherent.

I hope I can consult you in person if I get the chance to visit XXXXXXX sometime in the future. I am quiet sure that I will be visiting XXXXXXX this summer, so if you know anyone that might be helpful I would be glad to hear from you.

Sincere,

Thank you very much for your advise and help, I will close the discussion and rate our discussion.

I will let you know if I have any further questions.

Thanks again.
Brief Answer:
Please read below

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your compliment.

In case you find an opportunity to visit it will be good opportunity for me to assess you personally and suggest you appropriately.
XXXXXXX state is many prominent psychiatrist having impact at national as well as international level. I am not supposed to name a person (thanks to website policy) but most of the experts are in government sector so visiting any medical college psychiatry department will be a good decision for you. One such department is XXXXXXX medical college and other is XXXXXXX Chithra medical institute.

I hope this helps you.
Thanks and regards.

Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Ok

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for information.

Thanks and regards.