What causes fatigue, memory loss and confusion while on Xanax?

Dr. Ralph Chambers

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I have been on metoprolol XL 50 mg 1x a day for several years, along with crestor 5 mg 1x a day also for several years now. Appx. 5 years ago I began to have panic or anxiety attacks and was placed on alprazolam 0.25 mg 2 x times a day. That was increased to 3x a day about two years ago. I also have an injection of B12 once a month. About a year ago, my blood pressure started creeping up and was placed on amlodipine 5 mg 1x a day, added to my Toprol. My bp pretty much stays at 140 over 80 now. I now am tired the majority of the time, my memory is not like it used to be and sometimes I notice that I am confused. I am 72 years old, still working 40 hours a week and still do my own yard and house work. I talked to my doctor about the tiredness and he scheduled a ct scan of my brain, a overnight pulse ox, and an ultrasound of my kidneys. Will get the results in two days. I have read that side effects to the Toprol an Xanax both include tiredness, memory loss and confusion. I asked my doctor about trying another bp medication or off of the Xanax and his reply was "never". What is your opinion?
Answered by Dr. Ralph Chambers 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hello. I don't favor long term usage of Xanax

Detailed Answer:
Hello.

First off, benzodiazepines like Xanax are not to be used for extended periods of time--maybe a few weeks and no longer.

Long term usage has been shown to affect cognitive functions.

Second, beta blockers like metoprolol can cause fatigue and confusion.

So I'm not surprised that, with your being on both those medications, you're having the problems you mentioned.

Were I your doctor, I would wean you off the Xanax, and, if you need another medication for the anxiety, I would try Buspar. And there are other blood pressure medications like calcium channel blockers that, added to the amlodipine, could take the place of the motoprolol.

Please let me know if you need any more information
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T