What causes fatigue in a diabetic?

Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist

Posted on Fri, 3 Nov 2017 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: I have an increasing problem with having stamina when doing physical things which after working for a few hours I experience extreme exhausting, fatigue, and can hardly keep moving. I have recently had many tests by various doctors regarding this including sleep studies, cardiac tests of every kind, blood tests for all types of infections or fevers and the results the GP I see who received these are that he says I have the body of a 35 year old (actually am considerably older) yet am exhausted. The only info that indicated anything abnormal was my oxygen level stays between 84 and 92 and my testosterone production is hardly perceptible. I take no medications except 50 units of Lantus a day for type 2 diabetes and I am about 25 pounds overweight.
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
testosterone replacement therapy suggested;

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!
I have gone carefully through your concern.

Undetectable testosterone level, of course, justifies the exhaustion you described but some other hormonal deficiencies should also be excluded (thyroid function, I suppose, is checked, Synacten stimulation test would be recommended to check adrenal function).

Of course, low oxygen has an underlying cause that should be revealed before the decision of starting testosterone replacement therapy or not. Prostate and cardiac pathologies should be excluded too.

Please discuss with your treating physician about Synacten stimulation test and further testosterone replacement therapy.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Wish you good health.
Kind Regards,
Dr.Mirjeta

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Mirjeta Guni 44 hours later
Thanks for the previous answers. I also want to ask your thoughts about my blood pressure and pulse. I take no medications other than 50 units a day of Lantus. My resting pulse ranges from 56 to 68 and my resting blood pressure is 100 over 40 t0 44. My oxygen level is 82 to 88 so wondering if my lower than normal blood pressure and oxygen could be the primary cause of the extreme fatigue I am experiencing. ? The numbers go up some if I drink coffee or some Red Bull but that is a short term affect. I have recently had many cardio and lung function tests without any beneficial diagnosis so looking for your thoughts. Thanks so Much. Chuck Tanko
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 21 hours later
Brief Answer:
HbA1c level needed;

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back!
Before trying to find probable causes of your symptoms, I would ask you to give some more information about your blood sugar or HbA1c level as an elevated glucose is the most common causes of exhaustion in a diabetic patient.
I suppose anemia and an underactive thyroid is excluded.
A chronic low oxygen and/ or a low blood pressure may cause chronic fatigue but the symptoms wouldn't be severe.
Secondly, a cause for the low blood pressure and oxygen should be found. How did your physician explain them?

Will be a pleasure to help you further.
Dr.Mirjeta
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad