• question-icon

    What causes fatigue in a child after accidental ingestion of mercury?

default
Posted on Tue, 25 Jul 2017 in General Health
Question: Hi I was taking my daughters temperature, then she bit the thermometer n I suddenly made her spit, washed her mouth with warm water n took her to the hospital where she was given a stomach wash, then rushed to another hospital where x ray was taken nothing was seen in that, she showed no symptoms so discharged from there, it's been three days she is actively playing, but looks weeker, her stool n urine appear normal, shud I be worried
doctor
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kini 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Nothing to worry.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Dear. Although mercury is poisonous (toxic), it usually only causes problems if you inhale large amounts of it.
Very little mercury is absorbed by your body if you swallow a small amount of liquid mercury or get it on your skin for a short time. This is considered almost non-toxic and you'll probably have no symptoms.

Some of the symptoms of mercury poisoning are
1. breathlessness
2. chest pains, a tight chest or a burning feeling in your chest
3. feeling irritable and nervous
4. shaking (tremor)
5. coughing up blood
6. breathing difficulties

Now you had made the child to spit and also the child is given stomach wash. I dont think there is any reason to worry. Since your child is fine now you can stop worrying about it.

Hope i have answered your question. Feel free to contact me if you have any more questions. I ll be glad to help you.
All the best
With warm regards
Dr Sanjay Kini     
     

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
doctor
Answered by
Dr.
Dr. Sanjay Kini

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2009

Answered : 1355 Questions

premium_optimized

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Tremor

doctor1 MD

I am female and aged 66. Nearly five years ago I was diagnosed with parkinson s disease, although my only symptons have always been a tremor in the...

doctor1 MD

I am 74 yrs age diagnosed with PD . Besides I have diabetes of 30 yrs duration and hypertension of two yrs duration. My neurologist has advised me...

doctor1 MD

My son 15 has been taking ENCORATE 500-dosage - 1.1/2 + 1.1/2 at noon & night as prescribed by our Dr.since 2010. In the last 1 year,his hands have...

doctor1 MD

I m a healthy 50 year old male. I m thin,don t drink or smoke. Over the past year or so, I seem to have developed an exaggerated startle response....

doctor1 MD

I have been taking Clonanzepam for 6 months and would like to know how to withdraw from this drug. The other drugs I take are Omeprazole once a...

doctor1 MD

hello i am having flutters in my chest feeling with a tremor and quiver feeling i have anxiety so i get confused but mu medicine for anxiety does...

doctor1 MD

My husband is 70 years old. Is a bk amputee who developed gastroparesis about a year ago. Yesterday afternoon she took a nap and when he awoke he...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

146 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Sanjay Kini
  • Q - Can narcissists have healthy relationships?

  • Q - How to remove object stuck in the anus?

  • Q - Is cholesterol level of 244 a cause for concern?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for itchy rashes on the lower back and forearms

  • Q - What causes burning sensation in the vagina with painful urination?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for depression

  • Q - What causes pain in the ankle after back surgery?

  • Q - Is piles operation advisable for a heart patient?

  • Q - Is lidocaine hydrochloride application on a catheter safe?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for twitching sensation in the calf

backtotop2