• question-icon

What causes fatigue in a child after accidental ingestion of mercury?

Posted on Tue, 25 Jul 2017 in General Health
Question: Hi I was taking my daughters temperature, then she bit the thermometer n I suddenly made her spit, washed her mouth with warm water n took her to the hospital where she was given a stomach wash, then rushed to another hospital where x ray was taken nothing was seen in that, she showed no symptoms so discharged from there, it's been three days she is actively playing, but looks weeker, her stool n urine appear normal, shud I be worried
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kini 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Nothing to worry.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Dear. Although mercury is poisonous (toxic), it usually only causes problems if you inhale large amounts of it.
Very little mercury is absorbed by your body if you swallow a small amount of liquid mercury or get it on your skin for a short time. This is considered almost non-toxic and you'll probably have no symptoms.

Some of the symptoms of mercury poisoning are
1. breathlessness
2. chest pains, a tight chest or a burning feeling in your chest
3. feeling irritable and nervous
4. shaking (tremor)
5. coughing up blood
6. breathing difficulties

Now you had made the child to spit and also the child is given stomach wash. I dont think there is any reason to worry. Since your child is fine now you can stop worrying about it.

Hope i have answered your question. Feel free to contact me if you have any more questions. I ll be glad to help you.
All the best
With warm regards
Dr Sanjay Kini     

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Sanjay Kini