What causes fatigue, disorientation and weakness in the calf muscles?

Dr. Dariush Saghafi

Neurologist

Posted on Mon, 13 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I am very fatigued and disoriented and my calf muscles are weak.
Answered by Dr. Dariush Saghafi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Need good examination and laboratory workup

Detailed Answer:
Good morning. I'm sorry you're not feeling well. Your complaints aside from the calf muscle weakness are not terribly specific and could be part of a number of different disorders including anemia, low B12 or D vitamin levels, hormonal imbalances, electrolyte disturbances, liver or kidney disturbances, poor sleep, weight loss, stress, anxiety, or depressive mood disorders.

The best place to start would be a good physical examination in order to test the actual neurological status of your awake and alert state of mind along with other neurological functions to demonstrate that everything connected to the leg muscles are in working order. Next, an examination should look at your overall strength and stamina in the legs (and everywhere for that matter) so as to rule out things such as loss of muscle strength due to atrophy, weight loss, or some form of neuropathy.

If everything checks out in that department then, it may be worthwhile looking at your cardiopulmonary status to see if your heart or the circulatory system could be responsible for your symptoms of fatigue and calf muscle weakness.

Finally, I would send you for several laboratory analyses such as a CBC with differential, Full panel of electrolytes, liver, and kidney enzymes (I may consider a screen for Hepatitis (especially Hep C since you are a baby boomer and there is a big national campaign underway now to get all baby boomers checked for Hep C), Vitamin B12, D, and thyroid hormone levels. I might also throw in a serum calcium and ionized calcium with the idea of possibly looking at PARATHYROID GLAND function as well...even if THYROID FUNCTION is normal.

I might consider an imaging study of the back (MRI) depending upon what I find on my physical examination of your legs and the calves....or I might put a hold on that particular test.

If I've provided useful and helpful information to your questions could you do me a huge favor by CLOSING THE QUERY and be sure to include some fine words of feedback along with a 5 STAR rating? Again, many thanks for submitting your inquiry and please let me know how things turn out.

Do not forget to contact me in the future at: www.bit.ly/drdariushsaghafi for additional questions, comments, or concerns having to do with this topic or others.

This query has utilized a total of 15 minutes of professional time in research, review, and synthesis for the purpose of formulating a return statement.