• question-icon

What causes fatigue, appetite loss, nausea, dizziness, fainting spells and loss of balance?

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have periods of fatigue, loss of appetite, nausea, dizziness which tend to last a few hours and then improve. I can feel faint at these times and sometimes have a loss of balance. Could it be nervous anxiety?
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please follow up with the necessary details

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for trusting HealthcareMagic

I have gone through your query and I understand your concern. Anxiety can present with similar symptoms.However, it is important to rule out other possible causes for your symptoms.

I would like to know few more details so that I can give you a clear answer.
-Do you have a history of Diabetes or hypertension?
-Any history of heart disease or palpitation?
-Are you on any medications including antidiabetic/antihypertensive medications?
-Have you ever experienced vertigo, hearing loss or tinnitus?
-Have you ever experienced loss of consciousness?
-Any thyroid issues or other significant medical condition?

Dr.Lekshmi

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 9 hours later
I have no history of diabetes. I do have essential hypertension but it is under control. I have had episodes of vertigo in the past and sone of my dizziness is related to that. I do regular vestibular exercises to try to mitigate that. I don't have hearing loss or tinnitus. I have not experienced loss of consciousness. My GP is currently investigating whether i have a thyroid problem, but it has been checked within the last two years and there was no sign of it then.
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Rule out hypotension, Transient Ischemic attacks(TIA), Hypothyroidism

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for trusting HealthcareMagic

The three main concerns I would like to rule out with your symptomatology are Hypotension, TIA, and Hypothyroidism.
Treatment of essential hypertension can cause episodic and orthostatic hypotension. Measurement of blood pressure in lying down and standing up position can exclude this possibility.
Another important consideration is Transient Ischemic attacks (TIA) where there is intermittent reduction in blood flow to the brain. Carotid doppler scan is recommended for TIA.
Please be advised to get an EKG done. The possibility of a cardiac problem is minimal.However, it is important to rule out cardiac pathology.
Please be advised to follow up with your primary care provider to undergo the necessary investigations. I would also recommend ruling out diabetes and also follow up with your GP for the thyroid results.

Hope I was able to help you
Please address further questions here
Dr.Lekshmi

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal