What causes fatigue and swelling on knee?

Rheumatologist
Question
hello Dr
I recently had a blood test (full CBC and chem panel). My creatinine levels were again high. (don't know the numbers, but, "slightly elevated". They've been elevated in two past blood tests in last 3 years. My dr never addressed this as a problem. I've recently developed chronic swelling in my left ankle (for over a month now) and no manual therapy approach (deep tissue work by neuromuscular/massage tharapis, or extremity adjustments by a chiropractor) have created any reduction. I also noticed swelling in my lymph nodes (most notably) at the elbow- both sides. I have noticeable pain and a little swelling above both knees (lymph node?)I am a 52 yr old athlete and have been too fatigued to exercise, notice other abnormalities like irregular heart beat, and a number of other more minor things. I can't exercise and and exercise is my work (I am fitness trainer and bicycle skills coach and nutritionist). I am concerned. I'll see my dr in two days, and need some direction. My initial concerns are lupus, or glomerulonephritis. I've been in good health until past 2-3 years. Blamed how I felt on nearing (not in yet) menopause and slowing down that goes with entering my 50's. But, I've been active for 30 years and now it's disrupting everything. I also have been consuming alcohol (the only poison I have in my diet) on an almost daily basis for 2-3 years solid. I'm sure there is a connection. I need help. I am afraid I may be fighting a losing battle. Can't imagine remaining this way the rest of my life. HELP!!
Posted Sun, 3 Aug 2014 in Kidney Conditions

Answered by Dr. Divya Agarwal 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
may be multiple causes, we need to look at underly

Detailed Answer:

The reasons behind your fatigue and pains may be many. However as you stated that you recently got your blood work done. So what I suggest is that you need to make sure that the following are ok
1. TSH: so sometimes hypothyroidism can cause this.
2. 25 hydroxy vitamin D levels: fatigue and pains may be due to low vit D levels
3. serum B12 levels: again low levels may cause fatigue
4. ESR and CRP: to make sure you are not suffering from underlying arthritis
5. S uric acid: to rule out gout

and if everything is fine then we need to think about fibromyalgia.

Serum creatinine levels need to be looked at by the nephrologist. It doesn't explain the pains.