What causes fatigue and listlessness while on Citalopram?

Dr. Soujanya

Psychiatrist

Posted on Thu, 11 Oct 2018 in Mental Health
Question: My question on whether citalopram and clonazepam can be taken together has been answered. I'm on citalopram 20 mg for about 10 days now (my psychiatrist advised me to step it up to 40 mg gradually) but I'm suffering from serious side effects such as fatigue and listlessness. Is this normal? How long before the body gets used to the drug?
Answered by Dr. Soujanya 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I advise you to continue Citalopram for total 4 weeks.

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through your query in detail and can understand your concern towards the escalation of Citalopram dose. I would recommend you to continue only for 4 weeks as it is the maximum advisable dose for your age.

However, it has to be tried for at least 4 - 6 weeks before getting into conclusions about the effective dose for an individual.

I think that your fatigue and listlessness could be a part of your ailment, but not the side effect of the drug. So, there is nothing to worry because as your body will take some time to respond.

That may be the reason for the presence of those symptoms.
It would take around 2 weeks for the body to get used to the drug.

Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Soujanya 13 hours later
Just a clarification. Are you advising that I discontinue citalopram completely after 4 weeks?
Answered by Dr. Soujanya 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No, it has to be continued atleast 4 weeks before switching.

Detailed Answer:

I have understood your query regarding the dosage and duration of Citalopram. I mean to say,20 mg is an effective and tolerable dose at your age.

So, it has to be given a trial period of at-least 4 weeks, before escalating or switching to another antidepressant.If it is effectively controlling your symptoms, it has to be continued for a period of 6-9 months, to prevent relapse of symptoms.

If not, we can try with either escalation of dose to 30 mg maximum, preferable at your age or switching to another drug or augmentation with other drugs like lithium, Thyroxin, etc.

These are the treatment strategies must be followed step by step, before getting into conclusion about the response of a drug in a particular individual.

Hope I have answered your query.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Soujanya 31 hours later
I have been told that clonazepam is habit forming. Is Zolfresh/ Stilnoct, which I have been prescribed earlier, a safer option to go with citalopram?
Answered by Dr. Soujanya 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No, Zolfresh is not safer option in long term.

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through your query in detail and understand your concern towards the tolerance and dependence of Clonazepam.

Clonazepam is a long acting Benzodiazepine, it may be have little dependence, but it happens when it was taken many years.
When compared to Zolpidem, Clonazepam is much safer and preferred one in effectiveness and even in terms of dependency.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Soujanya,
Psychiatrist

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj