• question-icon

What causes fatigue and chest pain in an elderly person?

Posted on Wed, 5 Jul 2017 in Abdominal Pain
Question: My 89 year old father ate half his lunch and then he had to lie down. he said that he feels very weak and is having pain. This has been occurring daily for about 2 months. He went to his doctor but he didn't know what was causing the pain.
Answered by Dr. Sunil 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be angina(heart related pain).

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for query.

There are two pssibilities.
1)Cardiac involvement-Post prandial angina(Pain or discomfort in chest) after eating food in 89 years old male can be suggestive of Angina.Angina means pain due to improper blood supply to heart.Heart is supplied by 3 major vessels called coronaries.Blockage in one of the coronaries can cause angina.

I would strongly suggest him to go for few basic cardiology tests like 2d echocardiogram or Stress echo.They are highly sensitive tests to rule out coronary involvement.

2)Gastric involvement-Gastritis acid disorder and gases can mimic cardiac pain and can cause chest pain and heaviness.
Once cardiac cause is ruled out he can be treated for gastric problem.
Therapy with a proton pump inhibitor like Esomeprazole 40 mg twice daily along with a prokinetic drug would bd given for 21 days. This will provide you symptomatic relief from symptoms.Antacid like tums can be taken for few days along with it.

But as pain is recurrent initially cardiac cause is to be ruled out.

Thank you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Sunil 1 hour later
Thank you for your reply. I told my dad about your response. He is a retired physician, and he believes that he has Guillain Barre. Are you familiar with this disorder? If not, could you please help us get find someone who is.

Many Thanks, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sunil 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Very unlikely.

Detailed Answer:
Hey there,
Going through his symptoms it can't be G.B syndrome.Guillain-Barre syndrome is a rare disorder in which your body's immune system attacks your nerves. Weakness and tingling in your extremities are usually the first symptoms.It is charactrised by ascending umbrella shaped paralysis.Starts from one leg ascends to abdomen and thej reaches the other leg.So an umbrella shaped area is involved.
I respect his opinion but its not G.B syndrome.

Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Sunil

Gastroenterologist