question-icon

What causes fasting blood sugar level to be 101?

Posted on Wed, 20 May 2015
Question: I had a heavy dinner which included pistachio and dates. I checked my blood sug
ar after an hour and half it was 192. this morning the fast sugar is 101. Am I diabetic? generally my random is between 115 to 130
Answered by Dr. Divakara (21 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Doesn't seem lie you have Diabetes.

Detailed Answer:
HI

Well Diabetes is diagnosed by three tests

1. Fasting Blood Sugars : Done after 10 hours of fasting , which is normal in your case.

2. Postprandial Blood sugars : Which is blood sugars tested 2 hours after consumption of 75g of glucose. In your case its high but you have taken heavy dinner which is not equivalent to 75g of glucose ( way higher than 75g )

3. HBA1C : Which checks average blood sugars of past 3 months.

So as of now I don't feel you are diabetic , but to be more confirmatory I recommend you to get HBA1c test done and revert back.

Hope this information was useful to you.
Any clarifications feel free to ask .

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Divakara (18 minutes later)
I did my hb1ac abt 4 months back and it was 5.5
Brief Answer:
You don't have Diabetes.

Detailed Answer:
HI

HBA1C of 5.5 is absolutely normal . Then you don't have Diabetes.

I would recommend you to repeat HBA1c after a year but definitely you are not diabetic.

Hope this answers your query.

Any clarification feel free to ask. If none kindly close the discussion and rate my answer.

Regards.
Dr. Divakara