What causes fast heart beats?

Dr. Benard Shehu

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 29 Sep 2014 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Question: hello, 48 year old, 175 lb 5'9" male, twice in the last 8 weeks I have stretched before getting out of bed and have set my heart off into an erratic and fast rhythm, to the point where I start to get light headed, this has lasted both times for about 4 minutes, then all of the sudden I burp and my rhythm goes back to normal, both times I almost went to the ER. not sure what is going on but I ride my bike 20 miles a week and never have shortness of breath or any pain...seems like something in my sternum puts pressure on heart and starts this.
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it could be related to arrhythmia

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you for asking to HCM!

Your symptoms seems to be related to cardiac arrhythmia and most probably to atrial fibrillation episode.

I recommend to run the following examinations:
- Ecg
- Holter monitoring
- cardiac echo
- thyroid hormone levels

Based on the results the proper diagnosis will be made for your concerns.

Hope this answer to your query!
Dr.Benard

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E