• question-icon

What causes fast heart beat and pain in left arm and upper leg?

Posted on Fri, 3 Jun 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: As soon as I went to bed tonight, my heart started racing a bit. More important (annoying, worrisome?) is that I feel the heartbeat and feel it on my right side as well as my left. Also some random pains - some in left arm and also upper left leg. Should I be worried and goiing to the hospital? Or nothing to worry about.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

I understand your concern and would explain that your symptoms are not related to any cardiac disorders.

Anxiety could mimic all this clinical situation.

Besides, you should know that it is normal to feel heartbeat in both sides and even abdomen when lying down, because of the irradiation of the heart sound through musculoskeletal structures, including the diaphragm.

The pain in your left limbs could be related to inflammation or musculoskeletal pain.

If these symptoms persist, I recommend consulting with your GP for a careful physical exam and a routine check up:

- chest X ray study
- a resting ECG
- blood lab tests( complete blood count, blood electrolytes, thyroid hormone levels, PCR, sedimentation rate)

An ambulatory 24-48 hours ECG monitoring would help examine your heart rhythm trends during the day and exclude possible cardiac arrhythmia.

If all these tests result normal, you should consider anxiety as the main cause of your symptoms.

Hope to have been helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 13 hours later
I went to my cardiologist today and am wearing a halter monitor to see if it picks anything up.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would be happy to review your uploaded test reports.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!

I would be happy to review your Holter results as soon as you upload them, for another professional opinion.

Hope everything will be OK!

Greetings!

Dr. Iliri
Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist