What causes false positive urine test for morphines?

Question
I go to a pain management dr and he had me take Aka urine drug test and it came back showing I take morphine. He gives me Percocet and a but ran pain patch only and I never had any morphine in my life.
Why did this happen?

Thank you XXXX
Posted Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Could be a false positive test!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about what you have reported. It is not totally uncommon as there have been false positive urine tests for morphines. If you are sincere that you have never used this drug, then that is most likely what happened. Do you take any other medications? I will like to review the list and see if any could be responsible for this false positive.

Did this have any impact on your drug refills? If so, request for a control test on the sample you deposited to make sure they got it right that it lighted positive. Human and machine errors are possible, but not always reproducible.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Thank you so much for using our services and do feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.

Follow-up: What causes false positive urine test for morphines? 19 hours later
The question you asked me in your reply to my question was am I telling you the truth about not ever using morphine. I lost a kidney 6 years ago and I was in the hospital for a week and they gave me a morphine drip. Even at that time I hardly even used any of that. I thought of another thing that could have happened with this test. . When I gave the sample I could only go about 3 drips of urine and the nuse practitioner did not know if that was even going to be able to do the test. Also the month before I had this test is when he increased my Percocet to 10 percent from 5 percent 3 pills a day . I also take the Butrans patch 10 mil a week. I also take Ridalin, cholesterol meds. BP bills and cymbalta. Hope this is helpful as the dr said if it is in there he will cut me off from my other pain meds. This is upsetting me and as I adv him I would not come to him again with any other pain pils in me. I am not stupid but now I feel that he fells I am just another junkie tring to lie to get more pills

Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 25 hours later
Brief Answer:
I believe you!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for this follow up precision.

I really have a strong feeling that you tried nothing funny. However, this seems not to be the finding on your lab reports. I will insist that you get these tests repeated. It could be a laboratory testing error. Talk to your doctor about getting this done.

Beside, it would be difficult to differentiate morphine from percocet as they are dugs of the same class. This could as well be the reason why.

They are just a number of reasons to get this test repeated. I hope your doctor gets to do something about it.

I hope this helps. I wish you well.

Follow-up: What causes false positive urine test for morphines? 11 hours later
Thank you for your interest. The Dr did give me another test. I am going to call there to find out what they found.

Thank you again
XXXX

Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Good news!

Detailed Answer:
A happy to hear he gave you a new test.

Keep me updated about the results of this test.

I wish you well.