question-icon

What causes false positive in drug test for Benzodiazepines?

Posted on Mon, 7 Dec 2015
Question: I have been tested positive for Benzos
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe (59 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Followup

Detailed Answer:
I see now that you are concerned because you have tested positive for oxazepam and temazepam in the setting of taking Keppra and Topamax. Let me first assure you that Keppra and Topamax do not cause false positives. There are a couple possibilities here. First, it may be that you actually did take oxazepam and temazepam, but had them mislabeled as Topamax and Keppra. Second, it is possible your urine test was switched with another patient's. Third, it may be that the urine test was a defective test. Ask your doctor to repeat the test for a more accurate result.

tinyurl.com/DrSheppeAnswers
Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist