What causes false positive for Fentanyl and Heroin while on Morphine and Oxycodone?

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Wed, 24 Aug 2016 in Drug Abuse
Question: I am a chronic pain person I take morphine er and oxycodone I had a urine test come back positive for fentinol and herion then it said in a buble fentinol negitive. I NEVER take unprescribed meds how is this possible?
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It could be false positive

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

Positive test for fentanyl and heroin could be false positive result as it is common. Both oxycodone and morphine can cause false positive for heroin in screening test as they are not very sensitive.

In case you are subjected to any consequences due to these results please talk to your doctor and ask for sensitive tests. The higher level of test (gas chromatography) are least subjected to error and you will get desired results.

I hope this helps you.
If you have more questions feel free to write back to me.
Thanks and regards.