What causes false positive for Cymbalta in a urine drug test?

Posted on Thu, 12 Oct 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I'm trying to find out about some medication I am taking and How they will Show up on my Thursday Appointment with my pain management Dr... Two are prescribed and one is over the counter from what I can seem to see on the internet is not helping me yet. I take many medications but these three are said to possibly give false positives on my three-month screening. The three I would like to know about are Cymbalta(Duloxetine), Lyrica(pregabalin) both prescribed and an over the counter Medicine Azo (Methenamine) I am having what I believe is a prostate problem which is being addressed next Thursday with a specialist. I'm also taking Tamsulosin and Finasteride These two also by prescription.In my reading different sites, I seem to get different answers. So I am asking will any of this combinations cause a possible false positive of my urine screening as any illegal substances? I realize that there are thousands of labs over this country but very few are FDA certified and their rate of false positives are near 0. But I live in XXXXXXX now, originally a native New Yorker. Things here are quite a bit different and their false positives fall into the vast unscrutinized world of labs. I am an older 60 due to my injury and use a cane, and receive SSI benefits which also means that there are not many Dr.s in this field that take Medicaid. The first three where nightmares and gave me more illness than I started with. So can you please let me know if these meds should result in any false positives?
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
No

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern. Neither of the drugs you mention have been shown to cause a false positive result. This also excludes their combination. I do not know the other drugs you are currently taking but the drugs that are most commonly known to cause false positives are: some quinolone antibiotics, Advil and some other pain killers like Naproxen, certain antidepressants like Venlafaxine and Clomipramine.
I hope this answers your question. If you would like to share the rest of the drugs you are taking I'd be happy to check them and see if they can potentially cause false positives.

Wishing you good health and all the best.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Ornela Ademovi