What causes false positive for Cocaine in a drug test?

Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 22 Aug 2016 in Drug Abuse
Question: i tested postive for cocaine and did not do this how could this happen
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and thanks for your question.

False-positives for cocaine are extremely rare. Lab error, or taking the antibiotics amoxicillin or ampicillin, can sometimes cause it. Diabetics such as you rarely can test positive as well. Did you do any other substances, such as marijuana? These are often dipped in cocaine even if you aren't aware, which can cause a positive result.

Please remember to rate and close this answer thread when you are finished and satisfied.

In the future, for continuity of care, I encourage you to contact me directly at my private link below. After you ask a direct question, it would be my pleasure to be your dedicated personal physician on this website. My name is Dr. Sheppe, and I am an XXXXXXX doctor working in New York City at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, ranked #1 for Psychiatry in the United States (tinyurl.com/psyrank). For a personalized comprehensive evaluation, treatment recommendations, and individual therapy, ask me at HealthCareMagic at this private link: tinyurl.com/DrSheppeAnswers
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 40 minutes later
i also take many over the counter supplements and things for weight loss could this have any thing to do with it?no other than antibiotics that are for fish but researched they have same as human as i could not get my Dr and infection is very bad for me with implants. i do take many over counter supplements for liver kidneys joints heart energy
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Followup

Detailed Answer:
Supplements are unregulated and could in theory contain traces of stimulants, but highly unlikely to contain cocaine. I doubt this is the source of the problem. More like related to your diabetes.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee