What causes false negative test reports for syphilis?

Dr. Rahul Kumar

Dermatologist

Posted on Wed, 7 Sep 2016 in Infections
Question: I know for %100 I have syphillis. My ex was diagnosed and treated for it. How can I convince my doctor of this as my blood test come back as a false negative??
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please elaborate about your symptoms

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Do you have any symptoms?
What makes you think that you have syphilis?
Only blood test is not confirmative of syphilis.
Please elaborate about your symptoms.
Ask your doctor to do syphilis specific test such as TPHA.
It is highly sensitive and specific test.
Waiting for your response.
Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Rahul Kumar 2 hours later
My symptons are quite severe now. I have a rash of chancre sores on my feet and lower legs. They get worse when it is hot outside. I also have blemishes that resemble the rash on my genitals and my anus itches constantly. There is also some joint pain and I feel fatigued a bit more.

I don't think I have syphillis, I KNOW I do. The woman I got it from was diagnosed and treated. She had to beg the Dr's to do a specific test a few times before it came back positive.

My insurance is mandatory that I see a General Practictioner before I can see an Infectious Diseases Specialist. I have tried in the past to get help but I keep getting sent to a Dermatologist and they won't listen and keep giving me cream for Psoriasis that never helps.

Any help is great. Thank you your resonse.
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 21 hours later
Brief Answer:
Get investigated

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Please ask your doctor to get VDRL and TPHA done.
This should clear everything.

I am not sure if these tests were performed; if it isn't done yet, please discuss with your treating doctor, These test results were enough to rule out syphillis.

Let me know the results.
Thank you.
Follow up: Dr. Rahul Kumar 5 hours later
Thank you. I have an appointment tomorrow. I will let you know.
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
Waiting for your response.

Detailed Answer:
Waiting for your response.
Thank you.
Dr. XXXXXXX

I had my office visit today and was examined by a very smart Resident Dr. He ordered the TPHA test before I even asked. Hopefully I can get this cleared up and get on the recovery process.
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 39 hours later
Brief Answer:
Wishing u good health

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Waiting for your results.
Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj