What causes fainting episodes in a child?

Dr. Neeraj Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Wed, 22 Mar 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: My son has fainted almost every other day for the last ten days.....he usually faints around 1-3pm... The doctor did an echo and EKG and they were normal on my 7 year old son. It only lasts for 1-2 minutes the fainting and then he gets up.....no tremors before or after he faints so they don't think its seizures..... They did blood work and no problems their except for a little bit high blood sugar at 150, so they did A1C 5.7, fasting was 80. No Anemia. No strip throat, no problem with urine....we are going to go see a opthamologist friday.....today he got dizzy took a nap and when he woke up he said everything was pink.....this did not go away completely in one eye?
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Get him evaluated by a child psychiatrist

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your question and understand your concerns.
The symptoms and investigations are against diagnosis of seizure.
Is the episodes occurring in afternoon related to awakening after sleep?
Vision involvement is also not characteristic and evaluation by ophthalmologist will rule out any disease or pathology.
Try to get information regarding any stressor in school, peer group or in family.
Consultation by a child psychiatrist will be helpful.
Dr N Kumar
Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Neeraj Kumar 25 minutes later
Why did he get dizzy this afternoon......took a brief nap and everything stayed the color pink for a long time?
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Get advised investigations and ophthalmologist consultation

Detailed Answer:
These dizziness spells are not seizures.
EEG and brain imaging can be done to rule out seizures.
The pink vision needs to be evaluated by an ophthalmologist.
Advised investigations can be done.
Dr N Kumar
Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad