What causes fainting due to dehydration and ear ringing and clogged feeling?

Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Posted on Mon, 5 Jan 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I fainted a few days ago from what I assume to be dehydration. Even though it was for less than a minute, my left ear is experiencing some ringing and a clogged feeling. How long will it take for my ear to recover??
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Your ear should have recovered in 48-72 hours. Proceed with tests.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. If you were dehydrated, you were probably hypoglycemic (low blood sugar) as well. These conditions including those responsible for the fainting (such as low blood pressure, anemia and so on) may explain the origin of the tinnitus (ringing) in the ear.

2. Ideally, this should recover within 48-72 hours. As a few days have passed, get a Pure Tone Audiogram (PTA) and an Impedance Audiogram (Tympanogram) done. Upload the results here.

3. Since you have a clogged feeling (fullness), get the ear drums examined and also rule out early Meniere's Disease (drop attack-Lermoyez Syndrome).

4. Is there any chance that you fell on one particular side when you fainted?

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any more questions I will be available to answer them.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad