What causes fainting after playing tennis in an elderly patient?

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Fri, 1 Jul 2016 in General Health
Question: I am 70 in good shape and take only 81 mg aspirin and daily vitamin. After tennis I go in hot tub for 10 min and when I standup to get out I feel faint. If I shake my head and then sit down with head between my knees I am ok. .?
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
dehydration?

Detailed Answer:

it sounds like postural hypotension due to dehydration. Tennis can be exhausting for the body (depending on how hard you try of course) and cause loss of great quantity of water (dehydration). A dehydrated individual may experience postural hypotension particularly when the blood vessels are dilated (after hot tub for example). Rehydration after the sport is essential particularly for someone at your age, no matter how fit you are.

I hope it helps!
Kind Regards!