What causes faint line of UPT followed by spotting?

Dr. Mahesh Koregol

Infertility Specialist

Posted on Wed, 6 Aug 2014 in Pregnancy
Question: ​​
Hi

I'm mailing regarding a few questions I wanted to get sorted out concerning pregnancy. I'm of 26 years and I had my last period on XXXXXXX 14th of this year. I had a little bit of bleeding (4-5 drops) in dark brown color on the 11th and 12th of July. Thereafter I did an HPT and found that it was positive..with a weak positive line.

After that I had bleeding on the morning of the 15th, like 3-4 drops with dark blood color but no clotting. I consulted a doctor and she asked me to take bed rest for another 15 days and gave me tablets - progesterone soft gelatin capsules, 2 times a day.. Also, I did not have severe cramps or stomach pain..

My question to you is regarding the chances it has on miscarriage and if there are any other risks involved.
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Pregnancy

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I read your query and I understand your concerns.

Following is my reply

1. Faint line indicates pregnancy.

2. The possibility of miscarriage cannot be ruled out.

3. I suggest you get serum beta hCG blood test done to confirm pregnancy.

4. This not only confirms pregnancy but to some extent corresponds to period of pregnancy date.

5. This value doubles every 48 hours. Thereby confirming continuation of pregnancy after 48 hours.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Dr. Mahesh Koregol