What causes facial numbness on left side?

Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 3 Nov 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have facial numbness on my left side. Is that from a stroke or congestion? I've been diagnosed with bronchitis and sinusitis.
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
hi and welcome

Detailed Answer:
This is definitely not stroke especially in such young people. This is very probably caused by sinusitis which causes surrounding oedema that presses sensory nerves in this area. Also sinusitis can cause temporary paresis of facial nerve . You should treat it as any other sinusitis and congestion with antibiotics,decongestants and anti-inflammatory drugs and this will improve. Also,apply warm compresses on this area. Wish you good health. Regards
Follow up: Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 7 minutes later
Thank you very much. Is there anyway this could be anything else that I should worry about? This is the first time throughout my whole sickness this has happened. Also, all of my body has been hurting at the most random of times. I've been getting body aches all day everyday for the past two weeks.
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
hi

Detailed Answer:
At this point I don't see any relation to some serious diseases so you don't have to be worried. This is obviously result of respiratory infection which is located and systemic as well. So you should check inflammatory markers and do hemoculture to see which antibiotic is appropriate. Wish you good health. Regards