• question-icon

What causes facial flushing and itching after taking Potassium Iodide?

Posted on Fri, 3 Jun 2016 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: Why does the FDA okay someone to take 130mg of iodine that was exposed to the whole radiation incident in Fukushima?
This question might be for a doctor that specializes in Endocrinology. I went to a natural doctor last week and he told me to take iodine. I miss understood him on how much to take. The product I used I bought from Sprouts and it was called Eidon Liquid iodine (potassium iodide) and 2 drops equal 225mcg. I ended up taking 75 drops on Tuesday evening and 150 drops on Wednesday morning and then stopped taking it. Wednesday afternoon I started to feel sick with a heat feeling in my face, flushing and itching. My temperature was always between 97.2 and 97.8. I do not smoke or drink. I am 5'10" and 165 pounds. I was wondering if I should be concerned about permanent or significant damage to my internal organs/body?
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Iodine

Detailed Answer:
130 mg of Potassium Iodide is okayed by government agencies regulating nuclear disasters. It ought to be taken once daily for couple weeks or till advised by authorities or till exposure to radiation passes.Such large amounts are necessary for the radioactive iodine that has leaked from being accumulated by the thyroid gland in the neck. This type of dose typically prevents the radioactive iodine from being taken up by the thyroid.

The product you have consumed also contains potassium iodide in the amounts you have accurately mentioned.
So you have effectively taken a total of about 25 mg of potassium iodide in the course of two days. Relatively, it is small.
While much larger doses are used in humans for medical reasons such as 'hyperthyroidism' treatment for several days, it is still important to get yourself checked for side effects from this quantity.

The impact of this liquid iodine on your body can be variable ie from causing no damage to either extreme ie short or long term under-activity or over-activity of your thyroid gland.
Many factors determine this and hence a thorough in-person evaluation is necessary. You will be best served by consulting an endocrinologist in-person.
Moreover, considering how you are feeling at the moment, you should seek immediate medical care.

When I see someone like you in my practice, I typically have them go to the ER and undergo the following blood tests in addition to a detailed physical examination and medical stabilization:

CBC (Complete Blood Count, also known as Hemogram; includes Hemoglobin, WBC and Platelet counts)
Electrolytes (Sodium and Potassium in particular)
HbA1c (Glycosylated Hemoglobin = your 3 month glucose average)
Liver function tests (SGOT , SGPT, Albumin, Bilirubin, Alkaline Phosphatase)
Kidney function tests (BUN, Creatinine)
TSH
Free T4
Anti Thyroid Peroxidase (TPO) antibodies
Anti Thyroglobulin antibodies
25 hydroxy Vitamin D

None of these tests require any fasting and can be done at any time of the day

Dr. Shehzad Topiwala

Endocrinologist