What causes eye lid drop and ataxia after a triple bypass surgery?

Psychiatrist
Question
My 64 year old brother had a triple bypass 4 years ago. I recently saw him and he looks awful. His eye lids are extremely drooped, and he seems to have ataxia and seemed uncomfortable even just sitting. I am very worried-both our parents died young of heart disease. I have suggested supplements because I am into that but he is fearful of taking anything and is easily angered if I even bring it up. It's very complicated and I don't see him very often he lives in another state. I am so scared--he is a Ph.D. still working as a college Prof-but I can tell he is going downhill fast. I know there are supplements to help and he is drinking beer and may even smoke for all I know--he has even become very distant from me rarely calls yet I know he loves me--but he is very short--tempered, type A personality. I want to understand the ataxia and heavy eye lids. Please help.
Posted Sat, 16 Aug 2014 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Vishal Garala 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it is neuronal abnormality

Detailed Answer:

I admire you for positive outlook

Very glad to answer you

I guess you have to go for MRI brain

Because eye lid drop and ataxia is the part of neuronal disturbances

Do he has confusion???

If yes than it is chance of wernickes encephalopathy due to alcohol use

for that vitamin B1 supplement is must

If it is progressive than intravenous injection of thiamine is must followed by oral supplements

mostly 80 % cases it is reversible in early stage

If this presentation is from wernicke than go for it early as possible

MRI will clear all picture if any other abnormality
I guess it is not related to any heart problem or even bypass surgery.

Thank you
hope for the best