• question-icon

What causes eye floaters in the line of vision?

Posted on Sun, 30 Jul 2017 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: Hi I have Myopia with very high power in both my eyes. Right eye -13 and left eye -6
Also I have floaters in my right eye and lession in left eye.
Considering this situation, I have couple of questions

1. How can I prevent this lession from detoriating further
2. If I practice zumba or aerobics or yoga or any sport like shuttle, will there be an impact on the health of my eyes? Will these worsen the eyes? Which activity is more preferable as I want to reduce my weight.

Attached is the report
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
High myopia needs some precautions

Detailed Answer:
My dear,
Thanks for sending your query to us.
At your age I would expect that your power is stabilized.So what you do or not do is not going to effect the progression of power.Ideally by the age of 21 the power stabilizes.
To reduce weight whatever you do should be low impact and without jerky movement.walking anddiet control are ideal.Why we advice such precautions is that we do not want jerky movement to damage the periphery and lead to retinal detachment.Diet, walking and kalesthenic exercises and yoga postures where you do not strain will do the trick in your case.
Floaters in myopia are common and we try not to treat them unless a bunch appears suddenly.
Do get back to me in case of any further query in this regard.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. N. K. Misra 1 hour later
Thanks for the clarification.

With respect to yoga, can I perform any posture or should I restrict any thing?

Can I prevent the lession to worsen further? Will eye exercises help the improvement?
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Caution is the key.

Detailed Answer:
My dear,
Good of you to get back to me.
you have to take care to avoid straining exercise.Many yoga postures like sheershasana,sarvangasana, and lot of asanas where you increase thoracic pressure,thereby increasing the pressure in the eye are to be avoided.Kalesthenic exercises which I advised are to have isometric contraction of muscles,that will be helpful.
My worry is not increase of power but avoid detachment.
Follow up: Dr. N. K. Misra 18 hours later
Thank you for the response.

Can I do suryanamaskar? I got that doubt as I have do lot of bending down in that. I hope forward bending and backward bending does not cause any issue.Just wanted to add if planks and crunches can be done
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Avoid XXXXXXX namaskar

Detailed Answer:
My dear,
Great to have you back.
I would avoid XXXXXXX namaskar as well as crunches.Get the basic reason clear,efforts which increase thoracic pressure are to be avoided.pad hast asan means full forward bend,again bending down,with full force of gravity.
similarly crunches and planks lead to lot of rise of intrathoracic pressure,which in turn is transmitted to the eye.This is a risk which I would like to avoid.
Dr. N. K. Misra

Ophthalmologist