What causes eye dryness after taking a Botox injection?

Posted on Tue, 31 Oct 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I just had a botox injection 15 days ago around my eyes to reduced frown lines. An RN in a Medical Spa gave me the injection of 20c. Now my skin around my eyes feels so dry, tight and sensitive to touch. My eyelids seems to drooped too. What should I do? The botox injection was done at Medical Spa clinic in San XXXXXXX while I was visiting my daughter. I live in XXXXXXX I am 52 yrs old- with clear skin. Please kindly advise- I did njot research botox injections until now and I read so many horrible stories.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Known adverse effect. Not very concerning other than the discomfort.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Botox acts by blocking the release of acetylcholine thus reducing muscle contractions. This temporarily decreased muscle activity helps reduce the appearance of frown lines. Now acetylchole is also responsible for secretion of sweat, saliva and other similar secretions. Needless to say, the dryness and sensitivity of the area is an association you would need to bear with. This will last as long as the therapeutic effect (reduction of frown lines) lasts. It could occur irrespective of the place you got the injection from. Typically it lasts for one and half to two months although the effect would gradually and steadily decrease in the meantime.

As of now I would insist you to apply aloe vera lotion and to wash your face frequently with plain water. That should suffice and nothing else needs to be done.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha