What causes extreme weakness in the right arm?

Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist

Posted on Mon, 19 Sep 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: Recently when I begin to lift something such as a pitcher of water or juice with my right arm, I seem to
have no strength in my arm all at once. It is not a pain just a weakness and I often have to change hands
to my left hand/arm.
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Read below

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

That isolated arm weakness does need some looking into.

It could be a manifestation of compression of a peripheral nerve or a nerve root, commonly due to arthritis and disc herniation in the cervical spine or trauma alongside a nerve course.

It could also be a first manifestation of motor neuron disease or ALS, a degenerative progressing disease involving nerve cells responsible for movement, which can initiate with an insidious deficit in one limb.

So I suggest you see a neurologist in order to check for the muscles involved as well as for other neurological signs such as muscle wasting, altered reflexes, fasciculations (muscle twitching) etc. Based on these findings it will be decided whether to continue with other tests such as neck MRI and electromyography.

I remain at your disposal for further questions.
Follow up: Dr. Olsi Taka 28 minutes later
Thank you. I will follow up with an appointment with my Doctor and ask for a
referral to a neurologist. I have been aware in the last year or so, that arthritis seems to affect my hands, a knee and some times my lower back. Thank you again for your diagnosis.
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
Thank you!

Detailed Answer:
I hope nothing important will turn out.