What causes extreme tiredness and weight gain?

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Sat, 7 Nov 2015 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: My daughter has a goiter, the doctors have told her it is nothing to worry about. She has gained a considerable amount of weight over the past five years. Before that she was very slender. She has started a juice fast because she feels tired all the time and has been doing that for a month. She has not lost any weight to speak of. I am very worried about this situation.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please, get his TSH levels measured. This is suggestive of hypothyroidism!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about what your sister is going through. I have reviewed them completely and this is suggestive of hypothyroidism. This occurs when there is a low level of thyroid hormone produced by this gland. I will like to know if there are any other symptoms like feeling tired, sad, dry skin, constipation, etc.

The best way to evaluate this is by measuring the TSH levels. This will provide immediate information on the functional state of this gland. If this is the problem for real, hormonal supplements will address these symptoms.

I hope this helps. I wish your daughter well. Keep me updated and I will like to review the results of this test as well.