What causes extreme tiredness and sleepy all the time?

Dr. Chintan Solanki

Psychiatrist

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: .Yes I'm 63..male. 5 10 and 190lbs. I am usually tired..and can doze easily . After any meals meal I feel sleepy and can doze for about 30 minutes to an hour. I take Inderal and Elavil for migraines. 40mg Inderal LA and 40mg Elavil at bedtime.
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
reduction in dose of elavil may help, go for serum Vitamin B12 level

Detailed Answer:

Post meal sleepy feeling is normal in many persons as blood flow directed more towards to gastrointestinal tract to absorb the food.
However tiredness and dozing should be evaluated.

Possibility of sedation due to elavil in your case is there.
Elavil can cause sedation in many patients. One option is to reduce dose of elavil to 20 mg. If you feel improvement in sleepy feelings, it can be stopped gradually after reducing dose to 10 mg.

Considering your age and tiredness I also recommend going for serum vitamin B12 level assessment. If it is low supplements can be given.

Even after correction of these two factors if the problem persists, detail physical examination, neurological evaluation, MRI brain may be needed to diagnose the problem.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be happy to help further.

Dr.Chintan Solanki.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad