Owl Image

What causes extreme pain under the right rib cage?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2013
Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Question
I have extreme pain on my right side just below my rib cage. There is no swelling.cannot sit in upright position but for a short period and sleep on the left side only. No vomiting. Taking a deep breath..blowing nose nose or coughing is painful. No reason to think ribs are broken..came on suddenly..no fever.
Sat, 2 Jun 2018 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
possible intercostal nerve pinched

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.
Hi. If this happened suddenly, then this is probably pinched intercostal nerve or muscle and in this case it should not cause some significant problems. It is treated with rest, nonsteroid painkillers, diazepam and warm compresses. However, if there are breathing difficulties, then it may indicate pleurodinia or pneumothorax and you should see hospital as soon as possible. LAstly, it may be related to gallbladder attack if there is nausea, vomit or indigestion, in this case, have painkillers and easier diet in next few days. WIsh you good health. Regards