What causes extreme pain in the hand while rotating the wrist post trauma?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 28 Apr 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Feb 26,2017 I had emergency repair a displaced Type III fracture of the right radial head. The Ortho Truma Surgeon called it a Monteggia Fracture. I now have an artificial radial head and webbing holding everything together. I am starting my 4th week (2x/week) of physical therapy and have a 50% to 90% improvement in ROM and strength respectively and have just been cleared to begin cautiously lifting, pulling and pushing light objects. I'm doing very well except for one thing. when I rotate my wrist so the thumb is up I experience extreme pain starting at the back of my hand traveling up the radius side of my forearm to about 3/4 of the way to the elbow. The muscles cramp painfully. Recent x-rays and a visit to my Surgeon was normal and encouraging in every other way. Do you have any other insight regarding why this particular movement results in such extreme pain?
I have discussed this with both my Surgeon and my PT. The answer has been lots of damage and inflamed tendons. Still, wondering......
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Tendon inflammation only.

Detailed Answer:
Reconstruction of the radial head is an extensive surgery and involves a lot of tissue damage and tendon stretching. This all has happened just 6 weeks back. The healing will take some time and it may involve an inflammation of the tendons at the elbow. Pain only on a specific movement suggests a particular tendon inflammation. No nerve compression as strength is alright. No need to worry. The ROM will also improve with regular physiotherapy.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal