What causes extreme pain during the vaginal ultrasound?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 14 Aug 2014 in Pregnancy
Question: I have a gynocologist/dermatolgist type question

My wife had a bad UTI, but she seems to have a separate issue with her ovaries, vagina, uterus,,, she went today for an internal ultrasound - her skin inside her vagina and her labia are extremely sensitive - they hurt to the touch.... the doctor had her screened to look for ovarian cysts, or worse, (G-d forbid), but it seems strange to me, after 24 years together, that her skin is sensitive to the point where during the exam, she described it as being stabbed with a knife - and the further up/in the worse...
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be due to a dry vagina.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
The extreme pain during the vaginal ultrasound can be due to a drier vagina inspite of a normal sexual life for so many years. A physical examination to rule out infection is needed. One swab test or wet mount preparation is helpful to confirm any infection present. She should maintain genital hygiene properly and avoid sexual contact until pain is completely resolved.
She can use lubricating jelly or oil so that proper healing of the inflamed mucosa can happen.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal