Ask a Dentist   »  

What causes extreme oral pain despite taking Percocet-10 mg?

Dentist
Question
I seen a dentist 2 days ago . I need 2 teeth pulled but he has me on an antibiotic for infection. I have percocets 10 mg for pain but, I am experiencing extreme pain and have tried oral gel, warm salt water rinse and everything else I can think of to get some relieve. Nothing is working and I am walking the floors in total pain and discomfort. Can you suggest something else that may help. Please!
Fri, 25 May 2018 in Dental Health

Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can take Ketorolac.

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Thanks for the query..

Although Percocet is efficient in relieving moderate to severe dental pain but many a times if there is abscess formation then there can be pressure over the nerves and the pain does not get relieved even with painkillers.

As it is just 2 days of taking antibiotic it can take a bit longer for infection and pain to reduce..

You can however take Ketorolac to reduce pain..

-Also if you have x ray please upload..
-Please tell that does the pain increase on lying down and get better on sitting upright?
-Is there any swelling on face present?

Please revert back..

Regards.

Follow-up: What causes extreme oral pain despite taking Percocet-10 mg? 12 hours later
Where do you find the ketorolac that was suggested and do Inneed a script for this?
I do not have a copy of my x-ray at this time. I do not have any swelling in my face with this. Just a constant thumping. The pain is the same whether I’m lying don or sitting.

Thank you, XXXX

Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes it needs to be prescribed.

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Yes Ketorolac needs to be prescribed, so you can see an emergency doctor/ dentist..

If the pain is same all the time then you should get the teeth extracted soon or say after 5 days of completing antibiotics..

Hope this helps..

Regards..