What causes extreme oral pain despite taking Percocet-10 mg?

Dr. Honey Arora

Dentist

Posted on Fri, 25 May 2018 in Dental Health
Question: I seen a dentist 2 days ago . I need 2 teeth pulled but he has me on an antibiotic for infection. I have percocets 10 mg for pain but, I am experiencing extreme pain and have tried oral gel, warm salt water rinse and everything else I can think of to get some relieve. Nothing is working and I am walking the floors in total pain and discomfort. Can you suggest something else that may help. Please!
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can take Ketorolac.

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Thanks for the query..

Although Percocet is efficient in relieving moderate to severe dental pain but many a times if there is abscess formation then there can be pressure over the nerves and the pain does not get relieved even with painkillers.

As it is just 2 days of taking antibiotic it can take a bit longer for infection and pain to reduce..

You can however take Ketorolac to reduce pain..

-Also if you have x ray please upload..
-Please tell that does the pain increase on lying down and get better on sitting upright?
-Is there any swelling on face present?

Please revert back..

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Honey Arora 12 hours later
Where do you find the ketorolac that was suggested and do Inneed a script for this?
I do not have a copy of my x-ray at this time. I do not have any swelling in my face with this. Just a constant thumping. The pain is the same whether I’m lying don or sitting.

Thank you, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes it needs to be prescribed.

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Yes Ketorolac needs to be prescribed, so you can see an emergency doctor/ dentist..

If the pain is same all the time then you should get the teeth extracted soon or say after 5 days of completing antibiotics..

Hope this helps..

Regards..
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng