What causes extreme hand cramps and occasional leg cramps?

Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta

Posted on Sat, 30 May 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I've been having extreme hand cramps. Occasional leg cramping as well but the hands are the main issue. This pertains to both hands and when they occur I have to stop what ever I'm doing and physically stretch them back into shape. I eat bananas and drink POM juice for potassium (I here low levels can cause cramps) but they still cramp. F.Y.I. I take Losartin (100 mg) once daily for blood pressure but no other meds. I'll be 60 in two months & I've made a good living using my hands fabricating a wide variety of projects. I need to continue doing so. Any ideas on cause or method for relief? Thanks in advance for your time. XXXX
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 50 minutes later
Brief answer....need to be investigated for finding the cause
Detailed answer...
I have read your query and understand your problem and concern.
Although lack of potassium and dehydration are very common causes for spasms in hand,there are various other reasons for such types of spasms like...
Lack of calcium and magnesium
Lack of VIT D 
Use of diuretics leading to electrolyte loss
Uncontrolled diabetes
Chronic kidney conditions
Uncontrolled thyroid status
You need to consult your doctor and get investigated for above mentioned causes.
Once cause is found,it will be easy to treat you.
I hope it helps,however you are most welcome to revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks