What causes extreme full body itching after taking AKT4 medicine?

Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in Infections
Question: extreme itiching all over the body swallow joints,face and head region advised akt4 from the past 10 days should i discontinue taking akt4 advice
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It could be due to an allergic reaction.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX, Hi
Good evening!

I appreciate your concern for the itching all over your body.

AKT-4 contains 4 medicines (Rifampicin + Isoniazid + Pyrazinamide + Ethambutol) all used in the WHO approved treatment of TB.

Can you please provide the following details:

1. Since you are taking treatment for tuberculosis for the past 10 days, from which day on wards did you start getting the itching problem?
2. Do you have any other symptom like fever, discoloration of urine, etc.?
3. Has anybody in the family suffering from scabies?
4. Are you allergic to certain medications?

Awaiting your reply.

Best regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj