What causes extreme fatigue, headaches and body aches when diagnosed with strep throat?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Mon, 16 Apr 2018 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: I was diagnosed with Strep last Sunday. I was given a shot of penicillin. I have been coughing a lot with a lot of phlegm in my throat. I had a chest X-ray and my lungs are clear. I have been extremely tired and have had headaches and body aches. Is this normal for Strep.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

If Strep throat was confirmed with a throat swab, and if you had a high fever, it would explain the continued fatigue and aches. But coughing and body aches (and headache) can also be from influenza. That can be tested with a rapid test too.

If your throat is still sore, and strep had been confirmed, another possibility is that the strep you have is resistant to penicillin and you may need a different antibiotic.

If strep was not confirmed on a swab test (rapid strep or culture tests), you may have a viral infection such as flu.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information or clarification.

-----------------------------------------
Note to all patients: Please know that if you ask for a refund, which some patients do to "play the system", the refund comes entirely from what I am paid. The company does not lose a XXXXXXX I do my best to answer as thoroughly and conscientiously as possible to help you, and I hope you will honor my time and knowledge by not requesting a refund. Dr. Berger-Durnbaugh