question-icon

What causes extreme exhaustion and sudden drop in TSH level?

Posted on Wed, 20 May 2015
Question: hello, i have one more question, im extremley exhausted. so tired that i can't keep eyes open, however my thyroid levels are good right now and had a cbc done and all normal. i just had thyroid checked 2 weeks ago and its at 1.26. i have hashimotos so before it was an 8.6 and now with 112mg, of synthroid, its up to 1.26. my question is, can my levels drop so low within that 2 weeks time frame cause i feel so tired like i did when thyroid was hypo. thanks
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Thyroid

Detailed Answer:
Yes it is possible for TSH to drop from around 8 to 1.26 in 2 weeks' time.

However it is not advisable to check TSH in 2 weeks after a dose change because generally 6 weeks are required for thyroid hormone levels to stabilize in the blood. Testing TSH after 6 weeks of a dose change gives a better idea as to current thyroid status.

So now that you have done it anyway, I recommend you re-check TSH along with a free T4 about 2 months later to make sure the two are in target range.

For now it appears the TSH is at goal. So I am sorry to note you are still not feeling well despite a normal TSH. I understand your CBC is normal, but I suggest you see your endocrinologist/ Primary healthcare provider to explore other potential causes for your condition such as adrenal insufficiency.
Follow up: Dr. Shehzad Topiwala (1 hour later)
thanks for your advice but had blood work on adrenals and was normal. also had sugar checked multiple times and was normal.
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala (3 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:
I see.

Please consult your doctor to consider other possibilities for your symptoms, and consider appropriate referrals to other sub-specialties as deemed necessary.

Based on information you have shared with me, endocrine causes seem unlikely
Dr. Shehzad Topiwala

Endocrinologist