What causes extrapyramidal symptoms after taking Risperidone?

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist

Posted on Wed, 22 Mar 2017 in Mental Health
Question: My granddaughter istaking repedril (sp?) for mania as she has been diagnosed with bipolar disease. She is acting more normal but walks rather strangely, kind of robotic with her elbows very close to her sides and her head very stiff. Are these side effects dangerous or are they things that can be expected with this type of medicine?
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
EPS could be the reason of this.

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for asking

She is on Risperidone most probably. Risperidone is an antipsychotic drug of second generation. The drug in high doses sometimes results in extra pyramidal side effects or EPS. The rigidity like walk and robotic walk are most probably due to EPS due to Risperiodone.

If she has symptoms like increased salivation, slurred voice, difficulty in speaking, drowsiness etc along with then she should be shown to her doctor again. Concomitant use of Trihexyphenidyl should be help her. The drug will reduce the EPS and she will feel better. Talk to her doctor regarding that.

The side effects are not dangerous but should not be ignored. Reduction of dose will also help.

Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng